Individual Help with Writing
The Online KSU Writing Center provides one-on-one writing help in any subject, at any level, and at any stage of the writing process. Graduate students, honors students, and even faculty members frequent the Center along with students new to the demands of college writing and majors in every discipline.
Helping you become a better writer means we focus first on the global aspects of writing: topic development, thesis construction, organization, etc. We then can help you learn to edit and proofread your own work successfully.
The Online KSU Writing Center offers two kinds of online appointments:
Live Feedback Appointments
Interact with a writing assistant using audio, visual, or chat feed online.
How to Prepare for Your Live Feedback Session
- Make an appointment by selecting a date and time in the “Online Live Feedback” row on our Appointment Calendar. (You will need to register with your NetID and password the first time you log in to the Calendar.) All online appointments must be made a minimum of one day in advance.
- At the beginning of your session, upload a copy of your draft (if you have started writing) and your assignment guidelines to the interactive whiteboard.
- Expect to spend 30 - 50 minutes discussing your writing and writing process with a friendly, knowledgeable writing assistant.
- If you are working on a group project, your writing assistant can discuss any sections you wrote, but all group members must be present to discuss the entire project. The greatest improvement in these projects occurs when the entire group is involved.
Click Here for additional instructions on making and accessing your Live Feedback Session.
Written Response Appointments
Submit your draft and receive revision tips within 48 hours (for 100% online students only).
How to Prepare for Your Written Response Session
- Only students who take all of their classes entirely online (no hybrids, no face-to-face meetings) may schedule Written Response sessions.
- Make an appointment by selecting a date and time in the “Online Written Response” row on our Appointment Calendar. (You will need to register with your NetID and password the first time you log in to the Calendar.) All online appointments must be made a minimum of one day in advance.
- Click on your appointment on the Appointment Calendar. Upload your draft (as a Microsoft Word document) and your assignment guidelines.
- Expect to receive feedback within 48 hours of your scheduled appointment time.
- Via the Microsoft Word Comment feature, your writing assistant will address both global concerns (organization, thesis statement, etc.) and local concerns (commas, sentence structure, citations, etc.). Review all of these comments carefully.
Click Here for additional instructions on making and accessing your Written Response Session.
Additional Information for All Online Appointments
- So that we are able to help as many students as possible, students are limited to one session per day and three sessions per week.
- Same-day appointments cannot be made via the Appointment Calendar after 12 AM.
- If you are unable to keep your appointment, please cancel one day in advance via the Appointment Calendar.
- If you must cancel on the day of your appointment, call the KSU Writing Center at (470) 578-6380 (Kennesaw campus) or (470) 578-5005 (Marietta campus).
- Missing three or more appointments without prior cancellation prohibits you from making appointments for the remainder of the semester.