Strategies And Procedures
Encouraging Student Visits
We ask that all faculty encourage students to use the KSU Writing Center by taking the following steps:
- Post a link to our webpage, writingcenter.kennesaw.edu, in your D2L courses.
- Schedule outreach presentations for your classes.
- If you are teaching asynchronous online courses, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for access to a pre-recorded outreach video.
- Offer incentives for students who work with a writing assistant in the Writing Center.
Some examples of incentives include:
- allowing extra time for completing an assignment
- raising a grade for an effective revision of a graded assignment
- adding an extra point or two to an essay grade for students who work with a Writing Assistant.
- assigning a reflection of their Writing Center session.
Faculty may wish to require students to visit the Writing Center for specific assignments. For course-wide Writing Center requirements, please allow adequate time for our schedule and staff to accommodate your entire class.
Note that required visits are effective only when students are prepared to be active participants in our highly collaborative sessions, and we therefore ask that faculty do the following:
- Help students understand what to expect in a Writing Center session by directing them to that information on our website.
- Require that students who are coming for mandatory visits have a draft ready to discuss.
- Emphasize that students should have specific goals, topics, or questions for their Writing Assistant.
- Provide students with feedback that enables them focus on areas in which you see room for improvement.
Following a Writing Center session, the Writing Assistant sends an email to the instructor. Writing Assistants make every effort to send reports to the correct faculty member. Please note, however, that Writing Assistants see many writers in quick succession and do not have access to Banner; they rely on students to provide accurate instructor and course information.
Faculty seeking feedback on writing assignments or student writing processes are welcome to contact KSU Writing Center Director Dr. Mary Lou Odom (email@example.com).